Friday, September 8, 2006

Sheeps, wolves, serpents and doves

I treat religious texts as texts of wisdom. They have taught me a great deal. I recently learn a verse from the Bible that helps me to deal with the world today.

Matthew 10:16
Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the mist of wolves: be therefore wise as serpents and harmless as doves.

I ask Lucy ( a Christian friend of mine ) what does this verse mean?

Her reply:
Matthew 10:16 were spoken by Jesus Christ to His twelve disciples whom He personally selected and was preparing to send them out to preach to the Jews who rejected Him. Jesus instructed His twelve apostles or disciples to watch out for the kind of people in each community. His instructions, advice, warnings and encouragements are still valid today!

In this verse, Jesus was encouraging his apostle to be meek and mild even in the presence of violent objectionable people ( as sheep in the mist of wolves ). He warned them to be cautious of the people who were against them but at the same time not to use violence against violence ( wise as serpent, harmless as doves ).

No comments: